Central Andes Highlights
- Baños del Inca – The near boiling hot baths are where the Inca Atahualpa once bathed are now a huge complex of relaxation in Cajamarca.
- Kuelap – The remote citadel shrouded in mist and mystery may become the next Machu Picchu.
- Chavin de Huantar – The most revered ruin of the Chavin culture, one of Peru’s largest pre-Inca civilizations.
- Huaraz – Rest a few days with some Swiss fondue, or spend a few days getting acclimatized in this mountain town full of tourist amenities and the adventure sport capital of the continent. Cordillera Blanca – Join a climbing or hiking expedition to the world’s tallest mountains outside of the Himalayas.
- Semana Santa in Ayacucho – The Easter week festival in this colonial gem is the most elaborate in the highly religious city of Ayacucho.
- Huancayo & the Mantaro Valley – Pristine Andean scenery and dozens of rarely visited craft villages.
Writer and photographer Nicholas Gill is the editor/publisher of New World Review. He lives in Lima, Peru and Brooklyn, New York. His work has appeared in publications such as the New York Times, Los Angeles Times, CondeNast Traveler, National Geographic Traveler, Afar, and Penthouse. Visit his personal website (nicholas-gill.com) for more information.